The PDF is Here
Upon consideration of the Joint Motion for Superseding Consent Order Implementing the Corrective Statements Remedy, and the entire record herein, it is hereby ORDERED that:
The corrective statements remedy under Order #1015, published as United States v. Philip Morris USA Inc., aff ‘d in part & vacated in part…is hereby MODIFIED as set forth below:
PART 1: REVISED TEXT FOR CORRECTIVE STATEMENTS
As required by the Court of Appeals in United States v. Philip Morris USA, Inc., 801 F.3d 250 (D.C. Cir. 2015), and the memorandum opinion accompanying Order #62-Remand, the text of the Corrective Statements shall be as follows for Altria, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, Lorillard, and Philip Morris USA:
A. Adverse Health Effects of Smoking
A Federal Court has ordered Altria, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, Lorillard, and Philip Morris USA 1 to make this statement about the health effects of smoking.
Here is the truth:
• Smoking kills, on average, 1,200 Americans. Every day.
• More people die every year from smoking than from murder, AIDS, suicide, drugs, car crashes, and alcohol, combined.
• Smoking causes heart disease, emphysema, acute myeloid leukemia, and cancer of the mouth, esophagus, larynx, lung, stomach, kidney, bladder, and pancreas.
• Smoking also causes reduced fertility, low birth weight in newborns, and cancer of the cervix.
B. Addictiveness of Smoking and Nicotine
A Federal Court has ordered Altria, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, Lorillard, and Philip Morris USA to make this statement about the addictiveness of smoking and nicotine.
Here is the truth:
. . .
VI. Additional Provisions
1. . . . This Superseding Consent Order does not resolve the outstanding issue of Corrective Statements in retail point-of-sale displays.
2. The Corrective Statement formats specified above are intended to be comprehensive. No Defendant or ITG Brands shall alter, modify, or add to the specified elements of these formats, and no additional text, images, voice-over or other elements may be included.